Total Now 51 As Rivers Joins States With Coronavirus
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed five new cases of the raging coronavirus in the country as Rivers state gets its first case.
According to the NCDC, two of the new cases are in Lagos, two are in Abuja while the remaining one is in Rivers state.
With the new confirmed cases, Nigeria now has 51 cases with two patients discharged and one death, as of Wednesday evening, March 25.
Earlier, Sun Rays 103.1 FM reported that Governor Abdullahi A. Sule of Nasarawa state has tested negative for coronavirus, according to a statement released by the state government on Wednesday evening.
The statement indicated that Governor Sule had earlier invited his medical team to conduct comprehensive tests on his person and obtain samples.
"All results so far show that he is negative. The public will be kept abreast of any new developments as regards the health status of His Excellency, Abdullahi Sule," the statement read partly.
Though the results are negative, Sun Rays 103.1 FM gathers that Governor Sule has taken the precautionary measure to self-isolate and work from home so as to reduce exposure to the COVID-19 virus.
Similarly, the presidency has confirmed that President Muhammadu Buhari tested negative for the novel Coronavirus infection.
Femi Adesina, the special adviser to the president on media and publicity made the confirmation in a statement also on Wednesday.
The presidential spokesperson said the result is a thing of joy.
Also, amidst coronavirus scare in Aso Rock Villa, the vice president, Yemi Osinbajo, has tested negative for the global disease.
This was made public by Femi Ojudu, the special adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on political affairs.
Also on coronavirus, the governor of Niger state, Abubakar Sani Bello, has reportedly gone on self-isolation after possible exposure to some of Nigeria's confirmed Covid-19 cases.
Governor Bello took the decision to self-isolate following his presence at the Nigeria Governors’ Forum meeting which was held on Wednesday, March 18.
Sun Rays 103.1 FM notes that the meeting was attended by a lot of governors, including Bala Mohammed of Bauchi, who has tested positive for Covid-19.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed the death of Suleiman Achimugu, former managing director of the Petroleum Products Marketing Company (PPMC), in its update on the virus on Monday.
It said the 67-year-old deceased had underlying medical issues and had been undergoing chemotherapy for cancer and only returned to the country recently.
Suleiman Achimugu died at 2am on Monday, March 23, 2020.
Suleiman was said to have returned from the UK two weeks ago and started exhibiting symptoms of the virus on Tuesday and the case was reported to the NCDC who took his blood sample for a test.
He tested positive and was evacuated to the specialist hospital, Gwagwalada, FCT but died while receiving treatment.
According to a source, his family members are under quarantine at their home at the moment.
A statement from the family issued by Abubakar Achimugu said the deceased had been buried according to Islamic rites.
”Our family is deeply saddened to inform you of the sudden death of our beloved Father, Uncle, Brother and friend. Engr. Suleiman Achimugu (former Md of PPMC),” the statement read.
”He died of COVID 19 on 22/03/2020 some days after he arrived Nigeria from the UK. He was in self isolation upon his return from the UK and personally called NCDC after experiencing some discomfort that are related to COVID 19 symptoms.
”He tested positive and was promptly evacuated to the specialist hospital. He died while receiving treatment.
”We implore the general public to pray upon his soul and the recovery of infected persons .Your thoughts and prayers would be appreciated.
”Please maintain the public social distancing and restriction advice as we all walk through this very difficult time. He has since been buried according to Islamic rites. May Allah SWA have mercy on him.”
Earlier in the day, Nigeria recorded five new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 36.
Out of the 36 cases, 33 are active while two patients have recovered and discharged.
According to the NCDC, the virus has spread to six states — FCT, with seven cases; Lagos, 24 cases; Oyo, one case; Ogun, two cases; Ekiti, one case and Edo, one case.
A 38-year-old man was found guilty for stabbing Nicki Minaj's tour manager to death outside of a Philadelphia bar five years ago.
After two trials, prosecutors with District Attorney Larry Krasner's office landed a conviction for Khaliyfa Neely who stabbed Devon Andre Pickett to death on Feb. 18, 2015 outside a bar in Germantown.
The first trial ended with a hung jury and Krasner's office continued to pursue the case "based on solid evidence."
"It is our duty to persist in the pursuit of justice, even in the face of challenges," said Krasner.
Neely was convicted of third-degree murder, aggravated assault, simple assault and possession of an instrument of crime.
Judge Scott O'Keefe is expected to sentence Neely on April 24. Neely faces up to 25 years in prison for the top charge of murder.