For Exit Students
The Federal Ministry of Education has announced that all secondary schools in the country are to resume academic activities August 4, 2020.
This however, is for SS3 students sitting for examinations conducted by the West African Examinations Council, WAEC and the National Examinations Council, NECO.
A statement released Monday by the Director of Press and Information of the Ministry, Bem Goong, says, “Students will have two weeks within which to prepare for the West African Examinations (WAEC) due to start on the 17th of August, 2020.”
“These were the unanimous decisions reached today at a virtual consultative meeting between the Federal Ministry of Education, Honourable Commissioners of Education of the 36 states, the Nigerian Union of Teachers, (NUT), the proprietors of private schools, and Chief Executives of examination bodies.”
The statement further reads: “Secondary schools in the country are to reopen as from the 4th of August, 2020 for exit classes only. “Students will have two weeks within which to prepare for the West African Examinations (WAEC) due to start on the 17th of August, 2020. “These were the unanimous decisions reached today at a virtual consultative meeting between the Federal Ministry of Education, Honourable Commissioners of Education of the 36 states, the Nigerian Union of Teachers, (NUT), the proprietors of private schools, and Chief Executives of examination bodies.
“It was agreed that the exit classes should resume immediately after the Sallah break, from the 4th of August, 2020 to enable them prepare for the WAEC examinations scheduled to commence from the 17th of August, 2020”.
“The meeting also resolved that a passionate appeal be made to the Federal Government through the Presidential Task Force on Covid-19 and public spirited Nigerians for assistance to schools across the country to enable them fast track the preparations for safe reopening, as agreed. “Another meeting is to be convened tomorrow between the Federal Ministry of Education and Chief Executives of examination bodies namely, NECO, NABTEB and NBAIS to harmonise their examination dates, which will be conveyed to stakeholders expeditiously by the Federal Ministry of Education.”
The UN warned that failure to act could undo decades of development. It initially asked for $2 billion in its first coronavirus appeal in March.
The coronavirus pandemic is having a huge impact on the world's poorest, the BBC's Imogen Foulkes reports from Geneva.
This revised appeal is a record, but, the UN says, wealthy countries have thrown away the financial rule book to protect their own economies, and must now do the same for poorer nations.
If they do not, the UN warns, the world faces a series of crises, with millions pushed into starvation.
Millions of migrant workers laid off under lockdown cannot send money home, vaccination programmes for childhood diseases are on hold, and countries already enduring years of conflict are ill equipped to handle Covid-19.
In Yemen, a quarter of all those confirmed to have had the virus have died from it, five times the global average.
It comes as an appeal to help the world's most vulnerable through the pandemic was launched by the UK's Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC).
Fourteen charities - including Oxfam, Christian Aid, Islamic Relief and the British Red Cross - will join together to ask the British public to donate.
There have been more than 13 million confirmed Covid-19 cases so far globally and nearly 600,000 people have died.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has admitted the possibility that the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic might be spread in the air under certain conditions after about 200 scientists’ findings.
Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, Directir-General, NCDC, disclosed this at the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 briefing on Monday in Abuja, said the scientists urged the World Health Organisation (WHO) to review its guidelines.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the WHO now formally recognized that the Coronavirus could be transmitted indoors by droplets in the air.
WHO said in a scientific brief that people who spent time in crowded settings with poor ventilation ran the risk of being infected by the coronavirus as the droplets circulate throughout the air in indoor gatherings.
The admission came after a crush of criticism from experts pushing the Organisation to update its description of the virus’s spread to include the possibility of airborne infections.
WHO now acknowledges that transmissions via aerosols, or tiny air droplets, could have been behind “outbreaks of COVID-19 reported in some closed settings, such as restaurants, nightclubs, places of worship or places of work where people may be shouting, talking, or singing.”
”Besides refraining from having close contact with infected people and frequent hand-washing, the agency says people should “avoid crowded places, close-contact settings, and confined and enclosed spaces with poor ventilation.”
Ihekweazu said that the increasing evidences have emerged over the past few weeks that in addition to droplets infection, airborne transmission was also a possible mode of COVID-19 transmission.
“Our understanding of COVID-19 from the very beginning was that it was spread primarily through droplets from the respiratory tracts that and ultimately falls to the ground after few minutes.
“However, as we have studied transmission, studied clusters of these infections we saw increasing evidence of clusters form infections where droplet transmission did not seem to be enough to explain the clusters that we are seeing,” he said.
Ihekweazu explained that diseases that were commonly understood to be spread by airborne infection were measles and influenza that could be suspended in the air and transmit over long distances.
He said that WHO had updated its guidelines based on the new evidence and Nigeria’s existing guidelines would be reviewed.
“We cannot rule out airborne transmission, and therefore, we have to act in a precautionary way assuming that this is also possible giving the new evidence that is emerging,” he said.
Ihekweazu further explained that the consequence of the new evidence was that staying together in closed places, clusters such as restaurants, rooms with very poor ventilation would increase the risk of transmission.
“This is a new evidence we will keep adapting our guidelines as we progress. It’s not shameful to change guidelines from week to week as new evidence emerges,” he said.
Ihekweazu urged Nigerians to pay attention to ventilation, distancing and continue to adhere to guidelines on hand hygiene, face mask and mass gatherings.
“Indoor activities are riskier than outdoor activities, especially when there are many people in a room.
”What does this mean for your response, we have to speak even with a louder voice in the things that we have been saying already.
“We have to strengthen further the avoidance of mass gathering or gatherings of any nature in small spaces,” he said.However, mounting evidence had surfaced suggesting that the virus could stay in the air for hours and infect a person when inhaled. (NAN)
NAN recalled that WHO had previously advised that airborne spread was only common when people, mostly health care workers, were involved in medical procedures that produce aerosols.